Monday, 20 August 2012

Design Team Project #1 featuring Chocolate Baroque Steampunkery Stamps (by Lesley)

A very happy Monday morning to all our lovely Snazzys DT blog visitors!

Well, where did the last four weeks go I wonder?  This year sure is whizzing by at breakneck speed and suddenly it's my turn to post a creation again, lol!  This month the DT are showcasing some smashing quirky steampunk style stamps from Chocolate Baroque and I decided to alter an old book picked up for a few pence from my local charity shop.

I've picked up several old unloved books with the intention of giving them a 'makeover' but this is the first one I've actually done and it was great fun.  First of all I cut out the aperture then tore away the pages to the depth I wanted and I also cut a square from the back pages to a depth of about 1cm but not the back cover.  I forgot  to take a pic of that but all will be revealed, lol!.  I applied a layer of Gesso to the whole cover of the book and followed this with a coat of light acrylic paint (I used Studio Trad Tan) and also stuck a lot of the pages together using the multi medium.  I then blended Distress Inks over a large piece of tissue paper and when dry scrunched it up then applied it to the cover with matte multi medium (Studio again).  I applied Distress Stains and Distress Inks to card, dried and then embossed with an embossing folder before tearing into pieces and applying these to the book with multi medium.  I then applied a layer of multi medium over the whole thing.

Now you can see why I cut the square out of the back pages!  

To make the drawer I blended DIs and then randomly stamped some of the images from the stamp sheet before creating half a box and putting in some metal bits and bobs.

All the word images were stamped onto card previously blended with DIs and the other images were stamped with black Archival Ink, cut out and coloured with DIs.  The Tando Creative wings behind the heart were painted with gold Acrylic Dabber and sprinkled with gold embossing powder before drying with the heat gun so the paint bubbled a bit.

The rest was just adding loads of Ideology and fab Snazzys Steampunk metal bits and bobs (they have a great selection).

While I remember a big thank you to the lovely ladies who joined in our impromptu Steampunk Challenge last week and my congratulations to the winner.  Such a hard task to choose just one as all the entries were brilliant and wonderful inspiration for everyone else.  There were a few entries I'd like to have a go at myself!

Last but not least, don't forget to leave an extra comment HERE to be in the random monthly draw for this month's prize.

Have a lovely week all!

Lesley  Xx